Jay



Thank you Netflix.

Last night and this morning I finally had the opportunity to view the Jay McCarroll documentary Eleven Minutes. You know, the first winner of Project Runway?

First off, I loved the film, even if it brought with it feelings of anxiety I haven't felt since the CalArts graphic design show. Secondly, it taught me that fashion is something better suited for a schizophrenic (it seems you have to be everywhere and nowhere all at once). I'm too emotional for such a loveless world of fashion. Third, it had me contemplating what it means to be inspired and how exactly that inspiration is manifest in the work you create. Can you really just say, "My collection is inspired by vaginal discharge." and Archigram and hot air balloons? Where does the circus of inspiration end? In the end it seemed like the collection was at it's core inspired by Japanese culture. Tokyo? Finally, the collection itself was incoherent and unexciting, it really just felt, blah. Too bad, because the small and tight collection created for the finale of Season 1 of Project Runway I thought was amazing.

No comments:

Post a Comment